If you spend any amount of time on social media, I'm sure you've seen drinking celery juice rising as a trend and go-to for nutrition and weight loss benefits. But you have to stop and wonder, is it truly as effective as everyone seems to think it is?
The short answer: yes, drinking celery juice can be beneficial and can be a great way to get in some good veggies and nutrients into your diet.
However, just like with any health trend, you want to make sure that you are implementing it in the best way possible to make sure you aren't missing out on any benefits and also not cutting out other important habits you need to keep your health as vibrant as possible.
Let's dive into what the benefits of celery juice are and also how to best implement the trend into your diet and how to make your own nutritious and delicious celery juice.
Nutrients And Benefits Of Celery Juice
While celery is still a more recent rising fascination, the benefits of celery juice still have some scientific and medical support to back them. Celery on its own has a great amount of nutrients, including high amounts of antioxidants such as vitamin C and flavonoids, vitamin K, folate, potassium, calcium, magnesium, vitamin B2, fiber and more.
Because of its nutrient quality, the benefits of celery juice include:
- Inflammation-Reducing Properties - celery contains lots of antioxidants and studies have shown how it can help decrease the risk of oxidative damage in the body as well as reduce inflammation and prevent inflammatory responses.
- Hydrating Qualities - celery is naturally made up of lots of water and can help boost your body's hydration, especially if you enjoy it in juice form.
- Digestive Support - while there currently isn't any strong scientific evidence for celery's effects on the digestive system, people have reported digestive benefits and experiencing stronger systems and less digestive upset after drinking celery juice.
- Boost Cardiovascular Health - also due to its antioxidant proterties and ability to help with oxidative damage, celery also has the potential to help support cardiovascular health and prevent several cardiovascular diseases, such as atherosclerosis.
- Support Heart Health - there are elements of celery that have shown to have a positive effect on the heart and its health due to its ability to help with glucose levels, blood lipids and blood pressure, which can also contribute to helping with diabetes.
Since celery is still a newly rising health trends, research and studies are still in the works, but it's been showing a lot of promise and is gradually making its stand as a great go-to vegetable for snacking on and juicing with.
Should You Drink Celery Juice On An Empty Stomach?
Along with promoting drinking celery juice, it also has become a popular recommendation to drinking celery juice first thing in the morning on an empty stomach to properly enjoy and absorb its benefits. However, it's important to note that there isn't actually any substantial scientific evidence to support this.
Yes, drinking it on an empty stomach will get the juice into your system, but it's not strictly necessary to consume it that way. Juicing in general already helps break down foods into a more instantly absorbent form and can still get into your system fine if you've eaten something already.
In fact - especially if you are someone who prefers drinking their celery juice first thing in the morning on an empty stomach - it's important to remember that along with juicing, you need to be sure that you also include whole, fibrous foods in your diet so that your digestive system continues to get the support it needs and that your metabolism continues to function at an appropriate pace.
Celery Juice And Weight Loss Goals
You might hear that celery helps with weight loss because it's a "negative calorie" veggie, however there is a lot of controversy about negative calorie foods and their legitimate benefits on your health.
Celery is still a nutrient-dense vegetable with lots a water that can help support a weight loss journey. In its raw form, it contains fiber that can help keep you satiated for longer and possibly reduce cravings. It's a great vegetable to include in your diet for its nutrient and hydration quality alone.
If you are looking for foods to include in your diet that specifically help with weight loss, it's recommended that you focus on keeping your diet well-rounded with a wide assortment of vegetables, fruits, greens, seeds, legumes, beans, lean meats (if you're a meat eater) and more. Focus more on including variety and colors in your diet and listen to your body. Just drinking celery juice in the morning isn't quite going to cut it, though including celery juice in your diet can still contribute to your journey.
How To Make Celery Juice
If you are wanting to give drinking celery juice a try, this is one of the easiest ways to make it.
The Quickest, Easiest Celery Juice
Recipe credit: mbgfood
- 1 head of organic celery
- Splash of filtered water
- Wash and roughly chop the head of celery into rough chunks.
- Add to a blender along with a splash of water (to help the blades spin).
- Blend for a few seconds until broken down.
- Pour into a large bowl through a nut-milk bag.
- Squeeze through the juice and compost the remaining fiber in the nut-milk bag. Drink immediately for the most nutritional benefits.
Note: you can also process your celery through a juicer and mix and enjoy it that way. You can also mix in other veggies, greens and fruits to create an assortment of juice recipes and increase the health benefit quantity.
While it may not be the instant weight loss remedy everyone is making it out to be, celery juice can be a great supportive addition to your diet and is super easy to enjoy. The benefits of celery juice are only going to continue coming forward and gaining support. Just remember to also include whole, fibrous foods in your diet and don't depend solely on super simple juices to tide you over all day every day.
If you are a fan of juicing though, Organifi Green Juice can be an excellent addition to your diet. It doesn't include celery, but it's made up of several insanely healthy superfood ingredients and can do wonders for your health. Check out more about it here.
Have you tried celery juice? What are your thoughts about it? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments, we'd love to hear from you!
And remember, we're in this together.