When you think about nutrition for optimal performance, what comes to mind?
I bet hydration is not at the top of your list. You are not alone. Many people forget about hydration when it comes to their nutrition program.
The truth is that hydration is a non-negotiable element of a good nutrition program. It is also essential for your overall health, even if you are not an athlete or training seriously for anything.
When it comes to working out, both pre- and post-workout hydration is essential, since you lose water and important minerals through sweating.
Your body is literally made up of 60% water. No wonder you need it!
The Importance Of Hydration
Hydration is important because:
- Fluids help to regulate your body temperature: when your core temperature rises above normal, it puts extra stress on your body and can negatively affect your performance.
- Fluids help to regulate your blood pressure: being well-hydrated can regulate your blood pressure, normalize your heart rate, lower inflammation and positively aid your performance.
- Fluid helps the movement and transportation of essential nutrients: essential macronutrients get transported in your body through fluids, keeping you healthy and also aiding your performance.
Dehydration puts extra strain on your body, making exercise more difficult and putting your health at risk. It can lead to:
- Heat illness
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Low performance
Signs Of Dehydration
When you feel thirsty, you are usually dehydrated. Serious symptoms can sneak up on you, hence why drinking water throughout the day - and hydrating before, during and after exercise - is essential to prevent dehydration.
Signs of dehydration:
- Extreme thirst
- Less frequent urination
- Dark-colored urine
Workout Hydration Guidelines
When working out for optimal hydration, follow the following guidelines:
- Drink 17 to 20 fl oz of water two to three hours before exercise
- Drink 8 fl oz of fluid 20 to 30 minutes before exercise
- Drink 7 to 10 ounces of fluid every 10 to 20 minutes during exercise
- Drink an additional 8 ounces of fluid 30 minutes after exercise
- Drink 16 to 24 ounces of fluid for every pound of body weight lost during exercise
What Is The Best Way To Hydrate?
Good old water is absolutely necessary when it comes to hydration. Drink at least eight 8-10 oz glasses of water a day.
However, through sweating, you don’t only loose fluids, but important minerals as well that need to be replenished.
This is the reason while athletes drink Gatorade and other sports drinks - to add back all the lost electrolytes. However, Gatorade and friends are filled with processed sugars and artificial ingredients that are actually bad for your health.
Coconut water is a much better choice.
Coconut water is nature’s Gatorade. Besides hydration, it has so many benefits.
Benefits Of Coconut Water
- Electrolytes and Hydration: research has found that coconut water is rich in electrolytes and can be as hydrating as IV.
- Muscle tension: according to research, coconut water can help to lower muscle tension.
- Blood pressure: since the potassium in coconut water can counteract sodium, coconut water can reduce blood pressure.
- Heart health: thanks to its electrolyte content, research has shown that coconut water can lower triglycerides and cholesterol, contributing to a healthy heart.
- Stress: by lowering muscle tension, coconut water can lower stress levels and the physical consequences of stress.
- Cancer: research has shown that cytokinins in coconut water have anticancer properties.
Try Organifi Pure With Freeze-Dried Coconut Water
Knowing its powerful benefits, we have added coconut water freeze-dry powder to our new Organifi Pure drink. Freeze-dried coconut water holds the same benefits as coconut water, however, it is more travel-friendly and practical.
Pure is so much more than just a hydrating drink filled with electrolytes. It can help your workout and boost your performance AND also benefit your overall health. It is perfect for athletes and non-athletes alike.
Pure can aid hydration, support your digestion and help your focus and memory.
Along with coconut water, Pure is filled with many powerful superfoods, including lion's mane mushroom, baobab, apple cider vinegar, aloe vera, coffeeberry NeuroFactor, ginger and supportive enzymes.
Organifi Pure tastes light and mildly sweet with a refreshing subtle tanginess.
Just mix it with a glass of water and you are ready to go. You may also add Pure to your juices, smoothies and other recipes.
How To Use Pure When Working Out?
It is really up to you. The possibilities are endless and may depend on the type of activity you are doing. One of the best ways to use it is to simply mix it with water for a lemonade-flavored light drink and drink it before, during and after working out. You may add it to your post-workout smoothies to help recovery. If you are the kind of person who likes to eat something before your workout, you can mix it with smoothies, shakes, oatmeal, or chia pudding.
Remember, the only wrong way of using Pure is not using it at all. However, it is so delicious that there is no way you would want to stay away from this goodness.
How do you hydrate before, during and after your workouts? Have you tried Pure yet to enhance your performance and better your health? Share your experiences with us, we would love to hear from you.
And remember, we're in this together.