Written by: Drew Canole
USA Today just named their yearly “superfood of the year” and we couldn’t be more excited about it!
The official superfood of 2017 is one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory spices in the world, a delicious and popular flavor in Indian cuisine, a natural colorful food and clothing dye and one of our very favorite superfoods!
Have you guessed it yet? The superfood of 2017 is… TURMERIC!
Turmeric: The Golden Spice
Turmeric is not only a popular cooking spice and dye, but also a potent medicinal root that has been used for over 4000 years. Curcumin, the main active substance in turmeric, is what gives the spice its vibrant yellow color and is the main source of its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
There are not many spices that have been studied as extensively by the medical science community as turmeric. Take a look at some of the top benefits research has uncovered:
- Potent Anti-inflammatory and Pain Reliever. Inflammation, while good and helpful in small doses, wrecks havoc when it becomes chronic. Chronic inflammation plays a role in almost every disease that exists in western culture, including autoimmune diseases, heart disease, metabolic syndrome and degenerative diseases. Turmeric has been found to have the anti-inflammatory strength of some pharmaceutical drugs (1). Curcumin as a bioactive substance that fights inflammation at a molecular level (2, 3, 4).
- Increases Anti-Aging Antioxidant Capacity. Free radicals are at the heart of premature aging and many different diseases such as cancer, diabetes, asthma and degenerative diseases (5). We are constantly bombarded by the threat of free radicals through certain foods, tobacco smoke, pesticides, pollution, stress, etc. Lucky for us, nature has created many antioxidant rich foods that neutralize free radicals and help to remedy the body. Curcumin not only supplies the body with potent antioxidants (6, 7), but also boosts the activity of the body’s own antioxidant enzymes (8, 9, 10).
- Boosts and Protects Brain Function. Curcumin has the incredible ability to help increase the brain’s levels of Brain-Derived Neuropathic Factor (BDNF), a growth hormone in the brain that plays an important role in creation and preservation of neurons (brain cells), learning, memory and brain plasticity. There is evidence that curcumin supplementation may help to prevent problems such as depression and Alzheimer’s disease (11, 12). Turmeric has also been shown to fight brain tumors (13).
How You Can Use Turmeric Daily
Isn’t this spice amazing? There are so many benefits of this super-spice that it would takes pages and pages to detail! We love the fact that turmeric can support superior health and vitality, without the side effects you would expect from synthetic drugs and supplements.
You can use raw turmeric in juices and smoothies and of course in all your favorite indian dishes. Turmeric is such a great addition to juices that we were sure to include it in our Organifi Green Juice powder! Another way to make sure you are getting the benefits of turmeric daily is through using a high-quality supplement.
- 2 cups almond or cashew milk
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp fresh ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Small pinch black pepper and grated ginger
Instructions: Pour all ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to a light boil. Whisk to combine. Reduce and simmer for 10 minutes. Enjoy.
About The Author
Drew Canole is a rockstar in the world of fitness, nutrition and mindset, with a huge heart for others and doing his part to transform the world, one person at a time.
As the founder and CEO of Fitlife.TV, he is committed to sharing educational, inspirational and entertaining videos and articles about health, fitness, healing and longevity. He is also a best selling author and the founder of Organifi, an organic, incredibly delicious greens powder, chock-full of superfoods to make juicing easy no matter your busy schedule.