Happy July 4th! Happy Independence Day!
What comes to mind when you think of Independence Day? Aside from possibly thinking of history, it is probably the beautiful fireworks and grilling out with friends and family that pops into your head.
The sad thing is that on this special day, a lot of families - perhaps yours too - are extremely dependent on unhealthy, processed junk foods from greasy burgers to processed chips and sugar-filled cookies to toxic sodas and so on.
Let’s break this unhealthy junk food habit and claim independence from processed foods this Independence Day. Who is with me?!
To keep the tastiness in July 4th, but also invite in health as well, make this amazing butternut squash black bean burger this year. It’s nourishing, it’s mouth-watering, it’s delicious. You won’t regret it.
The Healthiest Burger For July 4th
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½ squares (saving the seeds)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup quinoa
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup red onion, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ½ poblano pepper, minced (omit if you are looking for a less spicy burger)
- ½ bell pepper, minced
- 1 tbsp paprika (omit if you are looking for a less spicy burger)
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup pistachios, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1 scoop of Organifi Green Juice
- 1 cup GF oats, ground finely in a food processor (or GF panko bread crumbs)
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- Olive oil
Instructions:1. Preheat your oven at 400 degrees F. Mix 4 cups of butternut squash with just enough olive oil to cover it in a baking dish then bake for about 45 minutes until tender.
2. Wash, clean and fry the squash seeds with 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat until lightly browned. Add some salt and coriander and mix well.
3. Bring ½ cup of water to boil, then add the quinoa and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
4. Mash your roasted butternut squash then add the black beans and mash again. Add the cooked quinoa, cilantro, paprika, cumin, coriander, squash seeds, pistachio, salt, black pepper and Organifi.
5. Add the onion, garlic, poblano pepper and black pepper in a saucepan and toss over medium heat for a few minutes, then add them to the mixture.
6. Fold in your ground oats (or panko).
7. Make some veggie burger patties using your hands. You can also use a cookie cutter or a cup for even sized patties.
8. If you are making this at home, fry it on a cast iron skillet with one tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat or bake it at 375 degrees F. Of course, when grilling out, you can just toss it on the grill. Make sure to flip half-way so it’s browned on each side. It will take about 10 minutes on each side, but keep watching as it depends on your grill, oven and stovetop.
- Tip: If you have serious vegans and vegetarians in the group, make sure to use a different grill, skillet or pan that you use for burgers made with meat or make your veggie burgers first.
You’ve probably noticed that we’ve snuck in some extra supernutrition through super greens and superfoods by adding our Organifi Green Juice Powder. This burger is already so nutritious, healthy and delicious, Organifi is just giving an extra boost to it.
Make sure to serve Organifi Green Juice and Organifi Red Juice this July 4th instead of unhealthy sodas and juices filled with processed sugar and artificial ingredients. Drink plenty of water too to hydrate in the summer sun.
Happy Independence Day, happy celebration and happy summer!
How are you spending your Independence Day? Share in the comments below. We would love to hear about all the fun you are up to. Make sure to share the fantastic meals you will be serving. Tag us on social media, let us drool over all the goodness.
No juicer? No problem! Organifi Green Juice is a carefully selected blend of 11 different superfoods including turmeric, spirulina, lemon, mint, moringa and more. It was formulated for busy women and men who are looking for a way to super boost their health and support their lifestyle without spending a lot of time or money in the kitchen. Try it today!